07 August, 2009

Nikolai-do (Holy Resurrection Cathedral) night view / Ochano-mizu, Chiyoda ward

Nikolai-do is an old Russian Orthodox Church, established in 1891.

When my father was in his late twenties, in the late 1950s, he belonged to a chemical laboratory located in Ochanomizu area as a researcher of the high-polymer chemistry. He said that Russia (the Soviet Union) was a pioneer in the heavy chemical industry at that time, so he needed to study Russian to catch the cutting-edge technical information. Then after leaving work, he went to the Russian language class opened in this church.

As I took these photos, I imagined the scene a young guy who looked like me came out from the gate and walk away.

Anyway, it is a bit regrettable that I couldn't hear any Russian he spoke.
I'd like to take this church's photos in the daylight again.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back online! I've enjoyed exploring lesser-known parts of Tokyo through your walks. It has inspired me to discover some new parts of Tokyo too. Keep on walking!

12/8/09 18:15  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging message.
I’d like to keep on walking & blogging!

13/8/09 22:23  
Anonymous montreal floirst said...

It is beautiful night view.

3/9/09 06:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

28/7/13 15:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home