26 January, 2007

Ice skating @Nikko Kanaya Hotel / Tochigi pref


My daughter and I went to Nikko to go ice skating with friends,,, strictly speaking, with my parent's friends and their kids or grandkids. We stayed at Nikko Kanaya Hotel where one of the oldest resort hotel in Japan. There are many interesting interiors. I'll show you some of them.

The ceiling of the old dining room.

This kind of ceiling art is often found in Japanese shrine or temple. You can also see it in the main dining room of the Hakone Fujiya Hotel.

The "real" art deco lamp which was made in Meiji era.

We stayed at annex. This is the front door of annex. Cool carving, isn't it?

There were old photos(around 1900) of the hotel. It seemed the exterior was almost the same as the present Kanaya Hotel.


We enjoyed skating in the hotel rink. It's an open air natural rink. It was sunny, the air was crisp and the ice condition was great. I'm not a professional skater and don't have any knowledge of ice condition, but I feel more comfortable when I'm skating there, rather than the machine controled indoor skate rinks in Tokyo.


There is a cozy cottage in the rink side. Grannies see their grandkids skating through the window, or have a tea around the fireplace,

but the cottage was used as a photo gallery this winter, so the grannies were waiting in here.


From the rink, you can see the Nantaisan mountain; one of the "Nihon 100 mei-san (best 100 mountains in Japan)".


I really regret that I didn't take any photos of dinner/breakfast/lunch, although dining was the highlight of our trip. I should've taken them but I had forgotten about photos until I ate up them all because they were so wonderful.
If you have a chance to visit Nikko, I strongly recommend you to have a lunch or dinner at the main dining room in this hotel. Especially, the trout is best! Actually, it's a little bit expensive (for me who have a 500yen-lunch-box everyday), but I believe it's worth more than the price. Don't miss it.

Nikko Kanaya Hotel
Nikko Kanaya Hotel -Dining room- (including breakfast, lunch and dinner menu)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks like a pretty impressive hotel. When I went to Nikko I stayed at a small Inn which reminded me of a bed and breakfast in North America. The food was also excellent during my stay but maybe I'll try that hotel next time I go there.

19/2/07 12:17  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Thank you for coming, Jason!
Yeah, I think it's worth staying at the hotel. The location is good, too. You can go Nikko Tosho-gu on foot (+/-5min) from this hotel.

23/2/07 01:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home