05 December, 2006

Ginkgo leaves turned to bright yellow / Kishibojin-Zoshigaya-Myougadani

Finally, it's the last month of the year 2006. Tree's leaves are turning to autumn color and falling down.
When I(Shige) was a child, I often smelled the fall leaf burning, and it told me that winter was coming soon. It was smoky but a little bit sweet scent. I loved that inscence.
Nowadays, I seldom get a sniff of the burning of fallen leaves.
How is your neighborhood?

I went for a walk with Lee to enjoy the yellow colored ginkgo leaves.

Kishibojin has an old ginkgo tree that is said to be 600 years old.

Kishibojin has perfectly changed the atmosphere from the summer(see the previous post).
I love both, the summer and the fall.


Zoshigaya cemetery's ginkgo leaves.


At the "Kyoiku-no-Mori" park.

This is the place I routinely visit during the morning walk with Lee.

This place was originally the campus of a university. At 1st, "Tokyo Koto Shihan Gakko(Tokyo higher normal school)" was established here in Meiji era, then it was restructured as "Tokyo Kyoiku Daigaku(Tokyo University of Education)" after the WW2. When it turned to the University of Tsukuba in 1975, most of the facilities were moved to Tsukuba city of Ibaraki prefecture, and the vacant site of the University turned into the park. This park includes the gym, indoor swimming pool, the playground, etc. The closest station is Myogadani of the Marunouchi-line (Tokyo Metro).

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Shige_d said...

Hi Kazu! Yeah, as you said, the cherry leaves are beautiful, too. There were cherry trees in Houmeiji-temple near Kishibojin, and the leaves turned beautiful crimson.

10/12/06 00:01  
Blogger Gina said...

I live in the country side in Chiba and I agree with you. One of my favorite things about living in Japan is also the smell of burning leaves! I love that smell, smells so fresh to me. Sorta reminds me of the smells of camping when I grew up in the US. So I really enjoy the smell of the burning leaves!: )

12/1/07 13:03  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Hi Gina. Thank you for coming! Welcome to my blog.
As you mentioned, I feel smell is deeply connected with our memory. The smell of burning leaves always reminds me "Yaki-Imo". When I was a kid, we often enjoyed baked sweet potato made in the burning leaves at Sunday church school. My "sweet" memory.

16/1/07 06:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kishibojin is my favorite place in Tokyo. Great pictures, enjoy it.

8/4/07 14:21  
Blogger Shige_d said...

Thank you for coming, Alex! I'm really glad you liked my photos.

8/4/07 18:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home